Success! Had to grind the drum rivets a bit and it does rub in the front on turns. I’ll fix that though.
Rolled the fenders with a baseball bat this morning and they fit just about perfect now.
What I’m trying to do – run 14″ steel rims with 66 impala SS Tribar hubcaps (for sentimental reasons).
Factory wheels are 13″ and tires are getting increasingly harder to find.
Here are some really good facts on Corvair Wheel Size.
A before shot with flappers and 13″ wheels.
New speaker installation coming soon.
These dont make the cut.
4″ hole saw should do the trick. Doors are rusty as can be anyway. I got some 4″ foam baffles to hopefully insulate them from the elements.
A feint rattle became a monstrous knocking, and thats when I knew it was time to buy a bolted flywheel from Clarks
. So out with the powerpack.
After it was out and I was awaiting parts I removed all the old rubber engine to body seals. Best way I found was to lightly grind all the staples. When the parts arrived I riveted the new seals in.
The old clutch was oil covered and was worn through the rivets. Strange though, the car drove fine. The pressure-plate has stress fractures in it and the flywheel was extremely loose.
Found this beauty while inspecting the transmission for a slight second gear grind.
Clarks sent the wrong pressure plate and so I’m still waiting. They are making good on it though.
I ordered some port-a-walls from portawallshop.com and besides installing with ease, they look absolutely wonderful! These are the 13 x 3″ variety. On my tiny tires they may be a little too big, but I’m sticking with it until they get destroyed.
…..and don’t mind my broken ass camera.
Here is an update to my bad control arm. This is re-enforced because the rotting stamped steel is fairly weak. New ball joint, and custom made Bronze bushings with zerk fittings for lubricating.
The original forced air heater has a few draw backs. One of which I experienced first hand. The whole vehicle was a true work of engineering. However, like all other things, there were a few oversights. In the past there have been studies about carbon monoxide entering the cab because of failed exhaust packing. I can neither confirm or deny that, although my original 1961 packings arent leaking. What I have personally noticed, is that even the slightest oil leak, residue even, will cause quite a stank, and sometimes visible smoke, inside the cab. I know there is no reason to have any type of oil leak, but realistically, sometimes you just can’t tend to a leak immediately. Frankly, burning oil gives me a migraine. The third thing that bothers me, are the lower engine covers that are required to use the engine as a heat source. Generally, I like to be able to see my cylinders and I am also thinking about running some headers and not the factory log manifolds. Also, since I live in a high traffic area, the extra cooling from leaving the covers off would drastically improve reliability. I’ve been keeping an eye out for an original GM gasoline fired heater. There was one on ebay for a while for $400, the working condition was unknown. Then, there was one for $100 that was sniped within hours of being listed. The other day, I found one that slipped through the cracks. $142 shipped to my door. Condition is unknown, but it looks really good. I don’t think its coming with the controls, but I’m least worried about that.
Well, its been a crazy few weeks. I don’t get home till about 6:30PM and so I don’t get a ton of time to work on anything. I got the carbs back from the builder, they are magnificent. The alternator fit nicely after modding the bracket a bit. I scored two brand new K&N’s and installed all my tune-up components with a new Petronix flame thrower coil. I also installed my Ampco upper cylinder oiler. The fuel pump for some reason didn’t want to pump fuel after I cleaned it out and so I ordered an electric unit. I still need to remove the tank and clean / seal it. If you notice, I also installed a 64 magnesium fan.
I pulled a valve cover and it looks pretty clean inside. I had to re-seal a pushrod, although eventually I will do them all.
I repaired alot of little things already. I did my best to seal the frunk even though there was a lot of rot where the seal goes. I also used gorilla glue (don’t forget to always use some water) to glue my windows back onto the bracket. So far, worked really really well.
I have an older Pioneer head unit that I made fit in the stereo mount. I stole some little speakers out of a multimedia setup and made a box that should fit where the single speaker used to be. I don’t need the greatest stereo in this thing, I just want to be able to cruise with some period correct tunes.
I started to upholster my bench seat. I used a seat cover that I trimmed and stretched over the foam and pad. Its all hog ringed and looks ok.
Well, I did it. I got a Corvair. It needs work, mostly interior believe it or not. I’m happy. At 500$ with a clear title I couldn’t go wrong.