Back when i first got this Corvair running, I needed the carbs rebuilt. I wasn’t afraid to do them myself, but I wanted them to be aesthetically pleasing. Problem is, I don’t have any sort of good way to do that. I also don’t have the ability (that I know of) to make the tops gold like they were originally. So, I had Custom Rebuilt Carbs do them. They’ve done carbs for me in the past that came out great. Since the moment i got them back i had issues. Mainly, that raw gas was pouring out of my exhaust. After checking everything I realized that yet again in my life, it wasn’t me, it was them. I brought the right carb back in and was met with advice that the fuel pressure was probably too high, or dirt was getting in somewhere, but I had checked and the fuel pressure was 4psi on the nose, and the entire fuel system was new so no dirt. Finally, they confirmed that the float was taking on fuel. Even still, the car idled and ran fine, but had a very noticeable flat spot during “passing” situations. After a year of not wanting to be involved and just wanting to drive the damn thing I opened them up, and this is what I found. The pump was gross, and looked old. The holes for the pump, two very, very small holes, were completely clogged with old brown varnish. I frayed a motorcycle brake cable and ran it through. Fixed. Now it runs well with no flat or dead spot at all.
Google decided to delete half of my content for no reason at all. I pay them for 100gigs of storage and yet my images are gone. So as soon as I figure out how, I will try to restore some of my most popular posts. Until then, everything after 2013 has survived and transferred here.
Fuck Blogger. — Me
A feint rattle became a monstrous knocking, and thats when I knew it was time to buy a bolted flywheel from Clarks
. So out with the powerpack.
After it was out and I was awaiting parts I removed all the old rubber engine to body seals. Best way I found was to lightly grind all the staples. When the parts arrived I riveted the new seals in.
The old clutch was oil covered and was worn through the rivets. Strange though, the car drove fine. The pressure-plate has stress fractures in it and the flywheel was extremely loose.
Found this beauty while inspecting the transmission for a slight second gear grind.
Clarks sent the wrong pressure plate and so I’m still waiting. They are making good on it though.
Dang. This is incredible.
I’ve been spotted.
Just rolled 50k.
And now I’m rolling without a speedo because the noise was going to bleed my ears.
Not Bad. I think I can live with this.
At some point, maybe even when I first got the car and had it towed, this bad boy got bent to hell. At this point, I’m probably going to try my hand at fabbing up some tubular control arms this way I get more travel out of my cut coils. We’ll see. It isnt stopping me from driving it. It goes straight and feels nice.
It took me a while and the video was shitty, so I pulled some stills.